Responsibilities of the Town Planner

Our Town Planner, Kaitland Finkle, is responsible for many functions within the Town of Maggie Valley, including: code enforcement, subdivision administration, floodplain management, zoning administration, plan review, long-range planning services, and other duties as directed by the Town Manager. Main responsibilities include:

  • Providing technical and staff level review for permit and development applications and preparing staff reports on proposals for Town boards;
  • Providing public notification, minutes and agendas for public meetings;
  • Preparation of reports, research, documentation, maps and recommendations for the Board of Aldermen, Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment;
  • Issuing zoning, building, floodplain, and other development permits;
  • Assisting the Town Clerk with maintenance of the official public record;
  • Ensuring development compliance with the Town’s adopted land use regulations;
  • Assisting with conceptual site and building designs for new proposals;
  • Park, greenway, and public space planning;
  • Grant writing for public projects; and
  • Community and economic development.

Currently the Town Planner and the Planning Board are Drafting the Town’s first Unified Development Ordinance.  Citizens are encouraged to attend all meetings!  For Planning Board meetings check the Meeting Schedule to determine the next meeting date.

See the Zoning Districts and Use Chart here.

The Town of Maggie Valley Preliminary Draft Map (May 2022) is shown here.

Density and Dimensional Requirements are shown here.  

The current Code of Ordinances can be accessed on American Legal online and at Town Hall.

Current Planning Initiatives

Several planning initiatives are currently underway by direction of the Town Planner and the Planning Board. Please use this page to become more familiarized with these projects and learn how to get involved.


Food Trucks

Resolution of Intent as of October 4th, 2021:

WHEREAS, the Town has received input in regard to Mobile Food Vendors including holding an open Workshop on August 24, 2021; and
WHEREAS, the following standards were selected from numerous options presented at the Board of Aldermen meeting held at Maggie Valley Town Hall on September 14, 2021:
• Location: 3399 Soco Road/Sweet Briar Lot across from the Festival Grounds
• Number: Up to 3 vendors at one time
• Day: Any day when special events are not scheduled at the Festival Grounds
• Time: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM (Vendors operating after dark must be lit)
• Fee: $75.00 Monthly fee (Once approved, vendors operate on a first-come, first-served basis)
• Additional Standards:
o Posted approval by the Health Department
o Liability Insurance
o Deposit
o Vendor responsible for removal of all trash generated
o No electric hookup available on site, generators allowed in compliance with Town of Maggie Valley Noise Ordinance
WHEREAS, the Town will assess feasibility over three months to ascertain value and reveal deficiencies of allowing mobile food vendors.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Aldermen of the Town of Maggie Valley will begin a Mobile Food Vending Pilot Program, subject to the provisions outlined above, to last through December 31, 2021.
Effective upon adoption, this 4th day of October 2021.

Application, Rules and Procedures for Food Trucks 10/4/2021

Background information:

Maggie Valley Board of Alderman consider various options to allow Food Trucks

Maggie Valley does not currently regulate food trucks as a standalone use. Current regulations of outdoor sales allow the following:

  • Any permanent business will be permitted to have outdoor sales or displays only on their property.
  • Permanent licensed businesses may only display and/or sell merchandise offered inside their business.
  • No outside/out of town vendors will be allowed to sell or display merchandise.

Food trucks are allowed under the following exemptions:

  • Nonprofit organizations may conduct outdoor sales on any property with written consent of the property owner.
  • Events held on the Festival Grounds and other promotional events refer to the special events ordinance.
  • For-profit entertainment and convention facilities must acquire a special event permit from the Town Board of Aldermen to have outdoor sales.

The Board of Alderman is considering beginning a Pilot Program which would allow Food Trucks to operate on Public Land with additional standards. Yet to be determined are location, operating days/hours, etc. In the meantime, staff will continue to research options for potential amendments to the Code of Ordinances. Click here to see Food Truck Pilot Program Options.

August 24, 2021 Worksheet / Group Report Compiled Individual Reports / Facebook Feedback

Bike and Pedestrian Planning

The Board of Aldermen formally adopted the Maggie Valley Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Action Plan on November 14, 2016. This plan aims to make Maggie Valley more “walkable” and help to create a bicycle friendly community, while also beautifying and improving Soco Road.

Pedestrian Plan
Pedestrian Plan

For more information about this plan, please click the buttons below:

Parks and Greenway Planning

McCracken Corner Park
Elevated Creek Park
Town Hall Playground

Unified Development Ordinance

Much has changed in Maggie Valley since the Town adopted its first land use regulations, which include the current zoning and subdivision rules. The Planning Board and Town Planner are currently working on new development regulations that will replace the old rules. This document will be known as the Unified Development Ordinance and will help to ensure that Maggie Valley develops more responsibly and sustainably in the future.

The key goals of the document are to:

  • Clarify development regulations and requirements;
  • Centralize all development regulations in one document;
  • Create a modern document that addresses current development practices.

Common Permits and Applications

Zoning Permits

If you are planning to build a new structure or renovate an existing one, your first step in the planning process is to obtain a Zoning Permit from the Town Planner.

Sewer Application

If you are building a new structure, expanding floor-space to your business, or adding a bedroom to your home, you must apply for sewer service and pay all associated sewer tap fees. Please contact Shelly Coker at (828) 926-0866 if you have questions about the sewer application process.

If you would like to bring your Food Truck to Maggie Valley, check out the information here.

Water Service

If you need water service please visit the Maggie Valley Sanitary District at 122 Rich Cove Road, or call them at (828) 926-0145.

Building Permits

All building permitting and inspections in Maggie Valley is carried out by the Haywood County Building Inspections Department. Their office is located at 157 Paragon Parkway, Suite 200 in Clyde and their telephone number is (828) 452-6638.

To apply for a building permit you must first have a zoning permit from the Town.

Sign Permits

If you are wanting to construct a new sign or make substantial alterations to an existing one (i.e. expanding the square footage), you must first obtain a Sign Permit from the Town Planner.

Less Common Permits and Applications

Subdivision Application

In any case where a parcel is to be subdivided into four or more lots, a subdivision permit must be obtained by receiving subdivision plat approval from the Planning Board. In order to start this process an applicant should first read the subdivision ordinance in its entirety to become familiar with all regulations and the subdivision process therein. After reading through the ordinance and preparing the documents required, an application for land subdivision must be filed before an applicant is to have Planning Board review.

Special Use Permit

In cases were a particular use is labeled as an “S” on the Town’s Use Chart, a Special Use Permit must be obtained from the Zoning Board of Adjustment. To begin the process of obtaining said permit, a special use permit application must be filed with the Town Planner.

Variance Request

Where a property owner feels their right to land development is being hindered by a burdensome ordinance, they may be able to obtain a variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment if said board finds a true and unique burden. To start this process, a variance request application must be submitted to the Town Planner.

Jonathan Creek

Here is the request for Floodplain Development.  This permit request application must be submitted to the Town Planner.

Amendments and Revisions

Request Text Ammendment

If there is a regulation within the land development code of ordinances that a property owner sees as unfit or in need of change, he or she may apply to Board of Alderman for a formal text amendment. To start this process an application for text amendment must be filed with the Town Planner.

Note: If a property owner desires to make a text amendment, they must both present why the change is needed and good for the community and write the amendment themselves. The Town Planner may give assistance, but is not responsible for the proposed text.

Request for Map Revision

Where a property owner feels the zoning designation of their property is incorrect or hindering the proper use of their property, they may request a formal revision of the Zoning Map from the Board of Alderman. To start this process, a request for rezoning must be filed with the Town Planner.

Please use the following project guides in order to make land/building development in Maggie Valley an easy experience.

New Business Road Map
Building a home in Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley Planning Board

The Planning Board is an Advisory Board that aids the Board of Aldermen in making decisions that involve adopted planning documents, land development codes, and the zoning map. The Planning Board is also the single authority in granting subdivision approval.

Town of Maggie Valley Planning Board Bylaws

The Planning Board usually meets on the second Thursday of the month at 5:30pm in the Town Hall Board Room.  Print an application for the Planning Board here.

Zoning Board

The Zoning Board of Adjustment serves as the quasi-judicial body within the Town of Maggie Valley. The ZBOA hears cases for special use permits and variances, and is the deciding body in such cases. The ZBOA also hears appeals from zoning interpretations made by the Town Planner.

Town of Maggie Valley Zoning Board of Adjustment Rules of Procedure

The Zoning Board of Adjustment meets only when needed, usually on the third Thursday of the month at 5:30pm in the Town Hall Board Room.  Print an application for the Zoning Board of Adjustment here.

May 2022
June 2022
No event found!
Load More
Contact Kaitland Finkle
Our community gets its name from Maggie Mae Setzer. Her father, John "Jack" Sidney Setzer founded the area's first post office and it was named after one of his daughters. Each summer, Setzer descendants come from all over the country for a large family reunion in the historic valley.