SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
Communication plays a vital role in the Town of Maggie Valley’s service to and relationship with Town residents and visitors. As new technologies and methods of communication come into wider use, the Town works to incorporate these methods to broaden the range of residents it communicates with and to make the process of communication smoother and more efficient.
Social Media is rapidly becoming one of the most prevalent means of connection among adults. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube are utilized by millions of people daily and continue to grow.
These new social media methods are not intended to replace existing communication channels, they are offered to enhance the ways residents can connect with the Town. In addition to the Town’s website and “Sunshine” emails, these various social media platforms will have information on programs, projects, events and happenings here in the Town of Maggie Valley.
*Please note that comments made on any Town of Maggie Valley Social Media are subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
The purpose of the Town of Maggie Valley’s digital and social media platforms is to share matters of interest to the residents of the Town of Maggie Valley, including but not limited to, Town information, events, public service announcements, emergency-related items and other public affairs. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments and concerns; but please note this is a moderated online discussion site and not a public forum.
This policy establishes the guidelines for the establishment and use by the Town of Town of Maggie Valley of social media sites as a means of conveying Town information to citizens and visitors.
We recognize the web is a 24/7 medium, and comments by the general public are welcome at any time. However, we generally will monitor comments and postings only during regular business hours. In addition, once posted, the Town of Maggie Valley reserves the right to delete/restrict submissions from posters that contain:
- Vulgar language
- Personal attacks of any kind
- Comments or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation
- Spam or links to other sites
- Clearly off-topic statements
- Statements advocating illegal activity
- Promotions of particular services, products, or political organizations
- Infringement of copyrights or trademarks
- Personally identifiable medical information
- Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations.
The Town also reserves the right to deny access to Town social media for any individual who violates the policy on social media posted. In addition, all comments posted to any social media site is bound by that site’s policies, rules, and regulations.