About the Town Manager
As the Town’s Chief Executive and Operating Official, the Town Manager serves at the pleasure of the Town Board of Aldermen per North Carolina General Statute § 160A-148.
The Town Manager is responsible to the Town Council, administering all municipal affairs placed in his charge by them, and has the following powers and duties:
- Appointing and suspending or removing all Town officers and employees in accordance with such general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the Aldermen adopts
- Directing and supervising the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the Town, subject to the general direction and control of the Board or Aldermen, except as otherwise provided by law
- Attending all meetings of the Town Council and recommending any measures deemed expedient
- Ensuring that all laws of the State, the Town Charter, and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Board of Aldermen are faithfully executed within the town
- Preparing and submitting the annual budget and capital program to the Board of Aldermen.
- Annually submitting to the Board of Aldermen and making available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Town as of the end of the fiscal year
- Making any other reports that the Board of Aldermen may require concerning the operations of Town departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control
- Preparing personnel position, classification, and pay plans for submission to the Board and then administering the approved plans
- Performing any other duties that may be required or authorized by the Board of Aldermen
About Town Manager Nathan Clark
Nathan has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a Masters of Public Policy & Management from the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School for Public & International Affairs and Master of Science Degree in Sustainability Science from Lenoir-Rhyne University.
Mr. Clark has continued his education in the field of local government development by completing the UNC School of Government Municipal and County Administration Course, UNC School of Government Economic Development Course and is a North Carolina Certified Zoning Official. He is a member of the International City Managers’ Association (ICMA) and also a member of the North Carolina City County Managers Associations (NCCMA). Prior to being appointed Town Manager in October 2013, Nathan served as the Town’s Planning Director for eight years.